Hi Everyone,
I hope you have all had a lovely holiday season and are recovered from what I like to call the "holiday hangover" - the post-festivity let down that seems impossible to avoid.
As much as I adore reading and commenting when I can on your blogs, I have been wanting to get back out there with all of you. There are some changes coming in my world this year - some good, some dreaded, but that's life.
As much as the new year makes most of us think about saving rather than spending and working out as opposed to eating out, in the words of Popeye, "I y'am who I y'am" - so let's talk shopping.
Early Spring collections usually feature some of my favorite pieces of the year though I don't often realize it because it so early in the year and there is much more to consider as the months march on. I'm fairly focused on only buying a few splurge pieces (a new bag and some bright heels for spring - boots for fall) and filling in some basics. The list of basics may increase as I get closer to my weight-loss goal. I started Weight Watchers last year and so far have lost 17 pounds. Most of my clothes still fit-though a lot of my tops are looking pretty baggy. Some items are simply too big and have been put out to pasture. Last summer I started a weekly private hour-long Pilates session and began walking my dog at least every other day. I know a weekly commitment sounds meager, but for me it is a big deal. I have more to loose to meet my goal and when I get there I anticipate needing a wardrobe re-vamp.
What would you do if you had to build your wardrobe basically from scratch? I want to drop a size-maybe two - and I think I know exactly how I want to dress my new/future body-assuming my proportions don't change. Interestingly the first 17# has mostly come off above my waist - which has turned me from an hourglass into more of a pear shape - but what can you do? Pilates is narrowing my middle and the slimming my thighs (hooray) and I'm embracing the journey.
Stay tuned for my color cravings for Spring. I have a new obsession (from one of my favorites - DVF) to share and a hope you will indulge me with a comment or two along the way. I will also update my 2014 reading list as a few books have already been devoured.
As always, thank you for your gracious support and kind words.
Julie Welcome Back! I am so happy you've decided to blog again, I so enjoy reading all of your thoughts on wardrobe, and anything really!
ReplyDeleteThis is so weird, today I was editing my blog roll of non-active blogs and I could not take yours off... hoping hoping and now this. Truly it has made my day!
I look forward to seeing where you go wardrobe-wise now that you have lost so much weight (and congrats by the way!) Re-building a wardrobe, how fun is that but also a little daunting. Deciding on a colour palette would be really important, are you working with some favourite shoes and bags? Do you need to replace coats? I am a size smaller on top than bottom so I understand this shape challenge, it definitely restricts certain dress styles for me (like a sheath dress, to get the hip size I need it swims on the top so I tend to avoid that shape unless I can get it expertly tailored).
I'm so looking forward to the colours that have caught your eye for spring... the fabrics you're interested in, the silhouettes...
I can't wait to read more!
Hi Dani-Your comments made my day! Thanks for sticking with me...weird timing indeed. The wardrobe re-vamp is still being worked out. I don't need much new stuff at the moment, though by the time the weather warms up, I should be down another 5-8 # and that is when I expect to start the rebuild. Time will tell...
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThose shoe are gorgeous. Glad to see you back. Sometimes blogging *feels like* adding a drop of water to a swelling ocean, but trust that your voice is welcome and needed. You have an in-depth examination of fashion that I appreciate. Congratulations on your weight loss!
ReplyDeleteDo you feel like a new person w/the new body, or not yet? If you feel like your personal style is changing based on what's going on in your head and in your life, then maybe start from there. Rather than worrying about the new shape first. What vibe do you want to impart? And then find the things that showcase that & your new figure.
Happy New Year!
Hi Gigi-Thanks for visiting. I don't feel like a new person yet - I am still in my old jeans, they are just looser. I am a smaller size in blazers but I'm not going crazy with new clothes until I reach my goal so I have time to consider lifestyle, colors, styles and climate - which is tricky (65 in January...so strange).
ReplyDeleteLove these shoes too, but can't figure out how to make the image smaller...I've tried everything!
Julie! Welcome back! I was so happy when I checked your blog (as I do periodically) and here you are! :-) Congrats on your weight loss, and on your continued success with getting healthy. Knowing exactly how you want to dress going forward is half the battle ;-) I read that you were going to be starting a new job so I imagine that has had some influence on how you will be dressing and buying. I think your plan of adding just a few pieces in until you are at your goal weight is a good plan. And I know what is up with the warm weather here?! My winter clothes are not getting much use!
ReplyDeleteI had foot surgery in October so I am were you where not to long ago looking for comfy yet stylish shoes! I will be purging my closet of shoes that no longer work for me.
I'd love to get together with you send me an email when you have a chance.
Hi Lisa-Thank you! Yikes about your foot. I feel you pain!
DeleteI will email soon. Would love to see you too!
Great that youre back to blogging,as i always enjoyed your posts!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ina.
DeleteJulie, so glad you're back, and congratulations on your achievement! I look forward to seeing where you go from here. I love Pilates, I always feel so energized after a session. Wish I could do more than one private a week!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteJulie - you have made my day, coming back!
ReplyDeleteA few years ago I lost a pile of weight and my one piece of advice on your journey "downwards" is to not buy a ton until you get to your goal weight - I went through 3 different sizes, thinking each one would be "the weight" and it wasn't and it cost me quite a bit... sigh..... congrats on losing the weight. I love the sunshiney-ness of the spring wardrobe picks and look forward to choosing something really loved when my shopping ban is complete!
Thanks WMM! I was out shopping all day with a friend today and came home hands free - no bags. She did plenty of damage - but I stayed the course :-)
DeleteIt's nice to see you back blogging! Great job with the weight loss and exercise, I need to get back to it (stalled/gave up at Thanksgiving). I'm ready to look at new spring clothes, even if I'm not ready to buy them yet. I think I'm tired of looking at J. Crew's sale section full of old stuff! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Cate-Thanks! I think we have plenty of time to get back in gear before spring fashion is a real temptation. Good luck!
DeleteHi Julie, welcome back!! I have always enjoyed reading your posts, glad to have you back!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year, and congrats on your weight loss! WMM did a post on several months ago on a book called Visual Therapy. I found it helpful as I was adding pieces back into my wardrobe after culling most of my clothes during my cross-country move. Best wishes!
ReplyDelete