Last week I purged over 40 items from my wardrobe including jeans, tops, coats, bags and shoes and I added in 3 oldies that finally fit again - whoo hoo!!! I've been thinking a lot about Personal Style Expression as I'm taking a close look at what I have left in my closet.
What remains fits the theme of a fairly classic dresser - not boring - please stop me if I get boring! If I rely on "classic" as an excuse to never embrace trends or have fun with my wardrobe there is certain to be something seriously wrong and professionals should be brought in.
Besides a couple of pairs of jeans, I have a few pencils skirts, 2 pairs of trousers, ankle length, slim cut pants, and a few blazers. I have 3 work dresses and 2 evening dresses, a rayon knit jumpsuit (my 14 year old son referred to as a onesie when I wore it on vacation - hilarious) and a few pullovers, cardigans and 2 maxi dresses - 1 for winter and 1 for summer. (The summer pieces will be revisited in a few months.)
I am not finished with my weight loss journey. I have been doing some shopping to find a few replacement pieces, but with nothing to show for it. When I browse in stores or online, I find I am often attracted to looks that don't fit in my style. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to all of the skinny pants and flowy tops - they look dreadful on my hourglass frame - fashion kryptonite for me and must always be avoided.
It has taken me a long to time to accept and to be true to my style. I've tried a lot of looks over the years but always end up at the same place. I keep going back to the classics. I feel at home in a sweater, jeans, boots and a tee. I look best in fitted styles that skim that body, rather than fuller more romantic and traditionally feminine pieces. How I wish I could wear those gorgeous shift dresses, effortlessly chic on willowy women with long lean legs. *Sigh* I should be over my limitations by now don't you think!
As a result of this journey I have made a few solemn vows to my shopping self:
1. No compromises. I am not buying anything that requires the a scarf, necklace, or red lipstick to "make it work". It either works or it doesn't and that is ok. Those things that require their own private ensemble never get worn. Of course this includes closet orphans - those single purchases that go with zero in my wardrobe - not gonna do it.
2. Be true to thy self. Accepting my magpie-like attraction to bit of bling is fine, but be careful - that stuff rarely gets worn - proceed with caution.
3. Accept the thighs. Pilates is making them slimmer, but I've had them since I was 13 and genetics are like mother nature - they can be a bitch.
4. Less is more. One perfect dress is far better than a closet full of stuff. I'm talking to you DVF - I need a new wrap dress this year - I am waiting for a print that speaks to me.
5. Shop for THIS life. The fact that I have 2 evening dresses is just about right. If I only had 2 pairs of jeans, however, this is a cause for panic. Dressing up happens maybe 6 times a year and the even to 90 % of those events I could get away with the evening uniform of dark wash jeans, heels and a silk/beaded/dressy top.
I know this is a long, blathering post. I've been tweaking it for days. Thanks for sticking with me to the end. I'd love to hear from you - your comments are such a treat.
Have a lovely week and as always, your gracious company makes me very happy.

Wel done! That's a great look above, super chic. I have finally gotten to grips with number 6 and am focusing more on decent every day clothes rather than fancy fantasy frippery.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tabitha. It feels good to "come to grips" with needs vs wants - very grown up, don't you think?
DeleteMy weight has yo yo-d the last 5 years or so and I must say that I find that the biggest impediment. Nothing else - I am old enough to know better and I know what suits me ( my slimmer body). I give up as I have gained another 10 pounds over winter hence any sartorial makeovers are again on hold. Having said that one of the most forgiving things is the DVF wrap dress! I adore it and I love scarves as they tend to fit whatever my weight! But you have very good shopping thoughts.
ReplyDeleteI hear you about the weight yo-yo It isn't easy to wardrobe when you're not feeling great about your body. A wrap dress is a great solution - though. Mine is 2 sizes too big, but I still wear it - somehow it works.
DeleteJulie these are excellent shopping vows we should all follow. I am also guilty of buying too many fancy things. Our actual lifestyle needs to be taken into account, I've had a real change with my puppy in my life, skirts and dresses for everyday are difficult to wear right now. But yet I still love to dress up and it cannot be denied!
ReplyDeleteI have finally come around to less is more though it has taken some time. I think I am finally done editing my closet and I have lots of empty hangars but I'm trying to be selective about buying anything new.
How are you finding your new office job, do you have your work-wardrobe sorted?
Thanks, Dani. I don't think less is more is depravation - but feeling really good about the choices I make and eliminating the guilt of buying something I can't really use even if I "love" it.
DeleteThe new job is ok. Not loving it, but it is filling empty hours and the people are lovely. No issues with the work wardrobe-simple slacks and tops are fine, and I'm ok wearing a suit, but it is really not required.
Great post. No apologies for any part of it. I enjoyed it all. I finally detached myself from Anthropologie. It's an aesthetic I enjoy, but it's not really 'me.' I'm learning to accept dark jeans as my uniform. They're no brainers and I can focus on what I have on the bookends -- feet & top half. Though I will still continue to try to work in other bottoms so I add some variety. But yeah, jeans are ok and completely Californian , 24-7. If you show up in anything else, ppl wonder if you arrived in the wrong place. lol
ReplyDeleteThanks, Gigi. I felt like I was just going on and on. I could not agree more about Anthro. It is lovely to look at-not me though.
DeleteI was happy to dress up last weekend when we went to Boulevard for dinner with friends. The hostess commented in appreciation that the gals were in dresses and "dressed for dining out". The woman who walked in the door in front of us looked great in dark skinny jeans - etc. so around here anything goes.
Great post Julie!
ReplyDeleteI live in my skinny jeans and popover or boyfriend sweater in the winter and flowy dress and maxi dresses in the summer.
Even though i am a size 0, i had to accept that i am short and that my height limits some choices,but i have found my style and i feel good about my purchases!
Thanks Ina. I love your uniform and you look great in all of your posts. We all have to work with what we've got and hopefully, like you, feel good about our purchases.
DeleteLove this list, I'm always looking for mantras with which to shop. Me too - Im looking for a good DVF wrap dress but have not found one in a fabric that really sings to me.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I love DVF - going to LA next month and hoping to find my perfect wrap on Melrose.
DeleteMelrose the yellow brick road!
DeleteI have a thing for flowy tops and skinny bottoms too - a combo that most times does not work out for me. Shop for my shape - it's the only one I've got!
ReplyDeleteIf you love it - go for it - but shop for your shape is important too.
DeleteFirst, let me say that those are seriously cute shoes and the onzie comment is hilarious!
ReplyDeleteYour post really resonates with me. For years I tried to wear flowy, feminine dresses and they just don't suit my figure but it took a long time for me to just stop trying and let myself admire the look on others. I am still tempted but then one hand comes up to slap the mouse hand away before I can click it into my cart. My figure has changed but I'm still to post-partum to know what it will be like in a few months or next year for that matter. I'm avoiding the skinny jeans for the next while.
Thank for stopping by, xoxo. The shoes are very old Anyi Lu - the most expensive shoes I've ever purchased and very comfortable!
DeleteYou will get back to your body - though IMHE - your new body will be like your old body - but with changes brought by pregnancy.
Knowing what works and accepting it awesome.
I have come to embrace my athletic thighs, big boobs, and old lady hands...still hate the crepey neck. Am waiting for the rise of bootlegs and flares.
ReplyDeleteBootlegs for all! I'm shopping for some myself. I tried Tory Burch, but too long :-( and not quite the right rise - on to Lucky Brand.
DeleteI have recently discovered paige hidden hills higher rise...9 to 10 inch...have to go up two sizes. Find, get size, then get for a quarter of the price on ebay. Solid, no fading, no whiskering, contain the thighs and help with the Dunlap aka "muffin top" done lapped over the waist band.
DeleteThis is one of the best style posts I have ever read. Anywhere. I am taking your vows.
ReplyDeleteAnd I WANT those shoes.
Thank you! I am humbled by your comment! The shoes are awesome aren't they. They are at least 5 years old :-)
DeleteI found this post late, but I really enjoyed reading and reading the comments on it too. I like your rules and also what Gigi said about dressing the bookends. I have learned to keep pants/skirts/dresses simple and add interest with shoes or tops. I'm 5'4" so not tall enough to pull off some looks and my weight fluctuates within a 20 lb range. It makes culling my wardrobe kind of difficult when I keep two sizes in dresses, pants and jeans. Always trying, though!
ReplyDelete